Bula Fiji!

Serah

Lautoka Waterfront

Traditional Fijian meal

Shower building at the mud pools

Mud pool

Traditional Kava ceremony

Traditional Kava ceremony

Me and Serah


President of Fiji's House



Uprising Rainforest trek guide




Millipede

Getting a lift to the trailhead

Second hostel room in Fiji

Mango Bay Resort


Kava Ceremony at Mango Bay
 
I have been in Fiji for about four hours and I already love it. The locals seem incredibly friendly, everyone says “Bula!” to you as you walk by, and not all of them want you to buy something from them either! It’s very hot and humid, but the dorm room at the Nadi (Nandi) Bay Resort is air-conditioned. You get a slap in the face of hot air when you leave the room though. The restaurant in the resort is very nice as well, I had the fish of the day (Mahi-Mahi) on a bed of mashed potatoes and a margarita for dinner. The fish was delicious, the margarita was okay. They also bring an aerosol can of insect repellent to your table for your use, light a candle for you, and I got a flower to put behind my ear, right ear if you are taken, left ear if you are available.

 

March 19

The Mango Bay Resort is like paradise. The dorm rooms are huts, no bunk beds, each bed has a mosquito net. The restaurant and bar are next to the pool that’s open 24 hours which is then next to the sea. I bought a sarong (sulu) in Nadi town this morning because we needed one to wear into the village to cover our legs, and I’ve already used it for a beach towel and a sundress after the beach and the pool. I can tell it’s going to be so handy on planes and buses too. We also had a traditional kava ceremony before dinner, to welcome the visitors to Fiji. I have had kava before, in Australia when Jesse made it for us, but this was much stronger. I had two cups, but mostly it just turned my mouth numb.

Earlier today, we visited a traditional village and had a walk around. The houses are all built by groups of people, not just the people who will live in them, this makes the process much faster. We visited the Methodist church; most people in Fiji are Christians. In the church, the pews on one side of the center aisle are for the women, the other side for the men. There are sections on either side of where the minister stands for the choir and the children.

For lunch we stopped at the Natidola (sp?) Beach for a swim, and barbeque lunch. Natidola is supposed to be one of the nicest beaches in Fiji and 7th in the world. Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsunday islands is 2nd, and to me, this one was absolutely no comparison. I think Yallingup beach in WA is actually much nicer. We did have a great lunch of barbeque chicken, sausages, salad, bread, pineapple and bananas. Most of the food was bought at the market in Nadi Town and I think the pineapple and bananas were the best I’ve ever had.

Comments